Sunday, March 2, 2008

Chapters and stories

I've been thinking about a conversation I had a month or two ago. A grad student and I were discussing our class and he stated that he hated novels as he saw them as contrived. (I suppose I should mention that he is a short story writer.) He thought that short stories were more like life. At the time I thought him pretenious as hell and acknowledged that I had never thought about it one way or another. And I hadn't. But I am thinking about it now.

So which is it? Short story or novel? Anyone with sense can say that it is both and neither. We all have moments in our lives that define us. These moments shaped who we are for better and for worse. They are dramas and worthy of being written. On their own, they are engaging stories that connect us to others. Moments of birth, death, crises...and yet that doesn't tell the whole story.

Then the novel. We can all see how those dramatic moments build upon on another and how different view points, different perspectives might offer different stories. We all like to think that our lives might make a good novel. And we all hope that the novel has a happy ending. But that's the problem with the novel...they end. We don't.

So neither analogy offers the right perspective. Each are just ways to chart a journey, but neither is complete. Our lives have short stories and are a series of endless chapters. But I am coming to believe that the real life, the real living, might actually happen outside the pages.

I really wonder about the nuances. The past three years have been my novel. I have had a series of dramatic moments that build upon one another. I have had epic journeys, close calls with death, birth...(even a war) it might be a riveting story. But those moments don't capture what I love about my life. I relish the quieter moments.

For me it is the smaller moments, the ones that don't get written that really shape us. I wake up every day (thank whoever for that) and do laundry, go to work, make dinner, kiss the kids, yell at the kids, pet the cat, clean up cat puke...the list is endless, but it almost happens every day. I have routines and though I love when the routines are shook up, I feel off kilter when I can't perform them routinely. I think we need those every day hassles to help us appreciate the extraordinary and to help us see that the extraordinary happens every day. It is in those upsets to what we expect.

I believe in my life. I believe in my story. But in my story I spend as much time on the toilet as in profound conversation and sometimes I do both at the same time. I measure my daily success on how tired I am at the end of the day. There is the balance between completely knackered and wide awake. I think that the number of wow moments can only happen in contrast to the other moments. After all...how can you appreciate mind blowing sex if you haven't had the "okay, I want to but I also need to make dinner and finish washing the dishes" sex. Each are wonderful...each are necessary...but they fulfill different needs.

So my life really happens between the lines. My life is a short story and a novel but the page that it is written on. It is gloriously mundane, tumultuous, hilarious, and boring. I love it!

17 comments:

Janet Spaeth said...

Lisa, this is a great question, and one that will stay with me today.

You know how, in the study of fiction, the term "episodic plot" comes up? Life has an episodic plot most of the time, I'd say. But even in life, everything is linked together, right?

Like cat puke and mind-blowing sex.

Great post!

Kacie said...

Cat puke and mind-blowing sex? Fascinating. ;)

I agree, though--great post. My first reaction is that my life wouldn't be a short story or a novel...it would be a soap opera.

Ugh.

Lisa said...

Nice angle. The ever running serial. I don't know that I have heard the term episodic plot but then I am not as learned as my colleagues:)

And K, I think your life would be a soap opera but you would be that character that reminds us of Job. heehee couldn't resist the Biblical reference...and you know how funny that is coming from me;)

Kacie said...

(cheesy announcer's voice) Tune in next time to see :dramatic music: Kacie contemplates the fate of a student who plagiarized not one, but TWO papers, in her composition course...

"But Mrs. J., I didn't realize that buying a paper from www.cheathouse.com was wrong! :sob: Can't you give me another chaaaance???"

:more dramatic music: (fade out)

Lisa said...

Oh the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive....

And these are the days of OUR lives:)

Kacie said...

Well, As the World Turns, I don't feel Bold or Beautiful! In fact, a few more weeks like past week will probably have me spending some time in General Hospital with All My Children standing around my bedside--even if they are Young and Restless, and would rather be elsewhere. After all, I only have One Life to Live; it seems like the least they could do, before I pass on to Another World, don't you think?

Janet Spaeth said...

Well, Kacie, in the student's defense, she BUYED the papers! It wasn't like she STOLED them or nothing!

Honestly, you English teachers!!!

Janet Spaeth said...

These are the STUPID Days of Our Lives. Too bad the Guiding Light is broken....

Lisa said...

We should publish...K, J is right. You are being to rough on her. She did do all the work to search for the appropriate paper to "buyed". Doesn't she get credit for research?

Janet Spaeth said...

Excellent point, my dear Lisa. Excellent.

Kacie said...

Ugh! What about the "research" I had to do to find the originals? I feel so frustrated because she was a GOOD student! She could WRITE! Both assignments were 2-3 page essays--one "remembering an event," the other "interpreting a story." If she had spent half as much time working on the assignments that she did looking for the perfect paper online, neither of us would be in this position. I just don't get it: What makes a smart student cheat?

Janet Spaeth said...

Kacie, dearest, you just *refuse* to see the Bigger Picture here. Think of how YOU personally benefited.

Psychologicaliness: You had a second sense (or a sixth sense--geez, we English majors are not good at math) that all was well in Glacamorra, so you followed up on your instinct and justified your initial response.

Researchwiseability: You honed those already razor-sharp research skills so that you can find anything on the internet. It's a rare talent, and yours is just all that much better.

Teachery things: You are now just that much better as a teacher. You know your students so well that you know when they've, well, borrowed/bought something that they shouldn't have. Think how well this would translate to parenting skills if your kids were still at home.

It's even prepared you for new careers, should you decide to wander from teaching.

Psychic.
Detective.
Psychic detective.

Do you feel better now?

Lisa said...

I can't say it any better than Janet did...

She didn't do this to YOU; she did it to herself. We have talked about this before. They cheat because they think it's the easiest way out. Don't make it easy and kick her out!!! It's all about consequences.

Personally, I think it's funny that she plagiarized a remembered events essay;) That makes me giggle almost as much as "plink." She is so good as a writer that she can remember someone else's events. Maybe she's psychic too...

Kacie said...

"Psychologicaliness?"
"Researchwiseability?"
"Teachery things?"
"PSYCHIC DETECTIVE"????

I'm really beginning to feel as if I've entered an alternate reality here...maybe I AM psychic! :)

Janet Spaeth said...

I think I have this figured out.

The student channels the paper. Knowing that her teacher doesn't believe in channelly-type stuff, she has no choice. She does the only thing she can do. She decides to research her topic to make it legitimate in her teacher's eyes.

AMAZING! There is the pape! YES! She did, indeed, channel it, right off the internet, which is a spooky thing to begin with. (Can YOU explain how it works? HUH? HUH?)

She did make one mistake. She forgot to cite her source.
www.channelmypaper.com

So I think you could safely dock points for that

Janet Spaeth said...

EDIT: There is the PAPER. Not the pape. Not the pope.

Sheesh.

I go and say something intelligent and don't proofread.

Lisa said...

Okay guys,

I haven't laughed as much in three months as I have with our musings on papers and nipples recently. So thank you. At a time when I'm feeling a bit lonely, it is so nice not to feel alone. Even if it is with you crazy broads (I know I hate the term too)

Hey Janet, what's your blog? Can I see yours since I've shown you mine;)